default logo

Gunbalanya

Gunbalanya is in West Arnhem Land, approximately 330 km east of Darwin and 60 km north-east of Jabiru. It is near the East Alligator River and the Arnhem Land Escarpment.

Aboriginal people have inhabited this region for more than 40,000 years. Paddy Cahill established a cattle station in the Gunbalanya region in the early 1880s. In 1916 the Australian Government bought the station, but it stopped operating in 1919 because of industrial unrest and the closure of the Vestey Brothers meatworks in Darwin.

Anglican missionaries arrived in 1916 and remained until the early 1970s. The Oenpelli Reserve was proclaimed in 1920, and the Arnhem Land Reserve in 1931. These and other reserves in the area were combined as the Arnhem Land Reserve in 1963.

In 1995 the Kunbarllanjnja Community Government Council was formed. In 2008 it became a part of the West Arnhem Shire Council, which now provides local government to the region.

more info…


FACILITIES

TYPE CAPACITY FEATURES STATUS CONFIGURATION
Staff Accom 2 bedroom house Not occupied 1 Double + 1 x 2 single
Study Centre 6 Computers
Student Accom No accommodation No accommodation